Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Introduction to my Blog

Hi there! My name is Vanessa Reyes. I am currently a Junior at Rowan University in Glassboro, New Jersey. My major is Early Childhood Education with a dual major in Writing Arts. My blog is about Domestic Violence. This was assigned as a class project and I chose this topic because it is something that I have always been interested in.

Thankfully, it has not occurred in my own household, but I have experienced it in the household of my close friend, Claudia. This is not her real name because I am protecting her privacy. Ever since I went through that experience in my life, I wanted to learn more about the topic because I never understood why a man felt the need to torture his wife physically and mentally. Since me and my friend Claudia were young and hung out all the time, I felt as if that was happening in my household because I was so close to her and her family.
I chose to blog about this topic because it occurs often and I would like to inform people out there about the different aspects of Domestic Violence. No, I am not an expert on this topic, but I know many aspects of it and my experiences back me up. I do have many questions about Domestic Violence that I don't seem to understand.

It was extremely disturbing seeing Claudia's mother get abused mentally and sometimes physically. Even though I was not there at the times when she got abused physically, I would go to her house and she would tell me not to come in. I was shocked because it was the first time she did not want me there. The reason why was because her mother had bruises, black eyes, or cuts. Her mother was so close to me that I felt that it was happening to my own mother.

I am attempting to catch the attention of women who are going through this that can explain what they are going through, children whose mothers are suffering day by day with their husbands, anyone interested in the topic just like me that want to be informed, and inform me about this.

No comments: